Holidays are just around the corner and if you are among those who still do not know where to go but are clear that it should be a close and economic place, we have good news: today we are going to talk about some cheap holiday destinations in Europe.
Check out our 7 cheap holiday destinations in the list below.
Lisbon, Portugal: The City of Light
Colored tiles, red roofs, affable people and viewpoints scattered throughout the city: Lisbon is one of the most beautiful capitals in Europe and heads our ranking because it is also one of the cheapest holiday destinations in Europe. The city itself can definitely convince everyone who loves to travel for culture, good weather and delicious food.
Here are 5 reasons why you should visit Lisbon, the capital city of Portugal:
- Drink “ginginha” in a chocolate glass: a small glass made of chocolate + a typical cherry liquor called ginginha = explosion of amazing flavors inside your mouth.
- A night out at “Pensao do Amor”: This former brothel turned into a modern, unusual and cool bar at Cais do Sodré neighborhood, right in the heart of Lisbon.
- Lunch at Mercado da Ribeira: This is the most traditional and main food market of the city. More than 30 restaurants and kiosks to choose.
- Try a “Pastel de Belém”: this traditional egg pastry was named by “The Guardian newspaper” as one of the 15th most tasty delicacies in the world. You can’t leave the city without trying them!
- Have coffee with Fernando Pessoa: go to one of the oldest cafés in downtown Lisbon named “A Brasileira” and have coffee with (a statue of) Fernando Pessoa, one of the greatest poets of Portugal.
Very cheap holidays await you if you really consider traveling to this fantastic city.
Istanbul, Turkey: The Imperial Capital
The most magical and mysterious city in Europe is one of the most affordable places to travel in the world.
If you know how to search, you can find really cheap accommodations. Eating at local restaurants will also help you to save yourself some money.
There is a lot to see in Istanbul. The famous mosques of Sultan Ahmet and Hagia Sofia, the Palace of Topakpi, the Roman Cisterns, the Galata Tower, etc.
Enjoy also the vibrant nightlife in the neighborhoods of Taksim and Beyoglu and do not miss visiting the Asian side, so different from the European.
Budapest, Hungary: Pearl of the Danube
Are you looking for a capital that will conquer you at first sight and where the food is delicious? Stop searching, you just found the perfect destination: Budapest.
Here you can stroll along the banks of the Danube, lose yourself in its markets, see the most beautiful Parliament in Europe, make new friends and celebrate all over the top in the rude pubs, super curious and colorful places where you can drink cheap beers and enjoy the atmosphere of the city.
On the other side of the Danube, the beautiful bastion of the fishermen has impressive panoramic views of the city and offers free entry between mid-October and mid-March. Of course, a trip to Budapest would not be complete without going through one of its famous thermal baths. The Széchenyi baths are a perfect option at a reasonable price (less than €20).
So, travelers looking to visit more than one European destination should definitely keep it in mind.
Pafos, Cyprus: The City of Aphrodite
In this city, the expenses for tourists can be considered low-cost holidays. Pafos is a perfect city for romantic people because it is full of castles, churches, monasteries, mosaics, white sand beaches and the bluest seas you’ve ever seen.
Did you know that this beautiful city was chosen as the European Capital of Culture in 2017?
After all, you cannot leave Pafos without knowing its archaeological park, with its famous mosaics, declared a World Heritage Site by Unesco.
Canary Islands: The Miniature Continent
The Canary Islands is one of the cheapest holiday destinations chosen by European tourists. Actually, if we wanted to find an area with similar temperatures we should go to the Caribbean. The Canary Islands is about 2 hours flight from the peninsula, a very cheap luxury if we establish it as a point of comparison.
The history of the Canary Islands shows that different cultures, from the Romans to Naturist explorers of the 17th century, fell in love with the climate of the island and the incredible benefits for their health made it one of the best holiday destinations to our ancestors.
The Canary Islands can be one of the cheapest holiday destinations to travel if you consider our little tips during your stay:
- Shopping during the trip: In the Canary archipelago, the purchases you make are not taxed by VAT (21% on the final price) but by the IGIC (the Canary Islands general indirect tax, 7%) so purchases are always cheaper than in the rest of the peninsula.
- Beaches of Gran Canaria: Canarias is one of the most popular and cheap beach holiday destinations in Spain for European tourists.
- New experiences: If you are an adventurous traveler, you should try paragliding tandem flights in Canary Islands. You can get more information here.
Undoubtedly the Canary Islands are the perfect place for your cheap summer holidays. Here you can choose from a wide variety of accommodations including fantastic villas to make your stay on these islands as pleasant as possible.
Krakow, Poland: The Capital of Poland
In the sixth position of our selection, there is Krakow, another cheap holiday destination in Europe that can be accessed without incurring in very high expenses.
Why visit Krakow? In addition to being one of the most beautiful, ancient and important cities in Poland. Krakow is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world, thanks to its beautiful old town centers, which are the most preserved in Europe.
A great city that is worth visiting, without a doubt, with an enormous architectural, artistic and cultural richness. Not to mention its exquisite cuisine.
Prague, Czech Republic: The Golden City
Prague is one of the most popular destinations in Central Europe. It is a frontier of between the modern West and the former Iron Curtain, hiding such beauty and elegance that you will be amazed.
This city has it all: historical monuments, admirable architecture, as well as vast gardens and parks.
Oh, and did we mention that this capital city has some fantastic bars and makes some of the best beers in the world?
We hope you have enjoyed our post about the 7 cheap holiday destinations in Europe. Are you considering the Canary Islands as a favorite destination? Book your holidays with us and prepare for a relaxing break. We are a company of villas in Gran Canaria where you can find all the amenities for your vacation period. Contact us; we are looking forward to meeting you!