Gran Canaria attracts tourists from all over the world for two main reasons: the sun and the good weather. While we all love sunbathing at the beach all day long, we can also enjoy seeing how beautifully the sun goes down looking at the sunset in Gran Canaria.
The island hides some strategic spots to see the amazing sunset. But before you choose one of them, there are a few things you should know.
Time In Gran Canaria: #1 Key Factor
It may not seem too important, but have you thought about it? Gran Canaria time could be different from what you expect.
If you come from a northern country, you are used to seeing the sun disappear at an early hour. But this works differently on the island. What time is it in Gran Canaria? That matters if you want to be punctual for the sunset.
Depending on the time of the year you come, sunset in Gran Canaria will have a different schedule. Pay attention to the sunrise and sunset hours and you will be able to plan your perfect sunset field trip. And don’t forget: Gran Canaria time zone is not the same than in the rest of Spain!
It’s likely that you will have to adjust your dinner time to see the sunset, but it will absolutely worth it.
Weather In Gran Canaria: #2 Key Factor
The location you choose to see the sunset in Gran Canaria will have a direct relationship with the weather. Then, what's the time in Gran Canaria to find the perfect sunset?
The Canary Islands are known for their mild winter and their not too hot summer, so it’s always a good time to go out and look at the night making its appearance.
But if you don’t want to postpone your dinner too much, it will be better than you check the weather before you book your flight, especially if you don’t want to miss your sunset in Gran Canaria.
Las Palmas Weather In November
Gran Canaria is a great place to spend your winter holidays. There are plenty of things to do at Christmas, but you can also travel to the island before Papá Noel (Santa Claus) comes in Christmas Eve.
After a lovely summer, light jackets are needed for the coldest hours in Gran Canaria. November means a maximum of 19°C and a minimum of 13°C in Las Palmas. If you aren’t a winter fan, we recommend you take extra clothing or a blanket to enjoy the sunset in Gran Canaria.
Las Palmas Weather In December
December and November in Gran Canaria aren’t too different. Las Palmas usually has 17°C-11°C temperatures in the last month of the year.
The most important factor to consider is that Gran Canaria receives lots of tourists in December so you will have to do a bigger effort to choose a not too crowded spot to watch the sunset.
Las Palmas Weather In April
Can you imagine yourself looking at the sunset in Gran Canaria right when spring starts? It sounds amazing.
Surprisingly, the maximum temperature is around 17°C and the minimum usually is 11°C in April. Exactly like December! The good thing is this is not the season for massive tourism, so your options to see the sunset increase.
Las Palmas Weather in July
Summertime! Finally, the temperatures are close to perfection. 22°C is the average maximum temperature when at night the thermometer displays 16°C minimum.
If you were worried about the weather, now you know this is the best time for you to see a sunset in Gran Canaria. Just consider there will be more tourists than in April or November!
Sunset In Gran Canaria: Where Are The Best Spots?
Sunset In Gran Canaria From The Beach
Are you a beach fanatic? Then you should know you can go to the beach early in the morning and not leave until night time. Sounds like a plan!
Gran Canaria sunset from the beach could become an unforgettable moment for you and your family.
- Dunas de Maspalomas. This magical location is at the top of the list for a reason. The dunes of Maspalomas make you feel like you are lost somewhere in the desert, and it’s great scenery for a photography passionate.
- Playa de Meloneras. As one of the best Gran Canaria towns, there’s a gorgeous beach in Meloneras. Right after a walk around its charming streets you can lay in the sun and watch the sunset in peace.
- Playa de las Canteras. If you spent the day visiting the island and you’re late to see the sunset, this is the best place you can go to. 3 kilometers of beach surrounding the island, near the best shopping spots. There’s a huge chance you get there in time for the sunset!
- Puerto de Mogán. The most peaceful, intimate sunset in Gran Canaria is here. It’s a hidden tiny beach, far from all the noise and people. It’s one of the most romantic spots on the island. There is nothing like a sunset in Puerto de Mogán.
Sunset In Gran Canaria From The Heights
Lovers of nature must see the sunset from the top. The highest places on the island are privileged spots to see the sunset in Gran Canaria.
- Montaña de Adoja. This breathtaking mountain was associated with magic and religion during the ancient times on the island. Its summit is very inspiring and displays an incredible beauty. You will see the sunset and a big banana plantation from the top of Adoja.
- Pico del Pozo de Las Nieves. Welcome to the ‘roof of Gran Canaria’, as people call this summit. It’s the highest altitude of the island: 1949 meters. The trip to Tejeda it’s totally worth it: you will see the whole island from the top. In the distance, you can find the silhouette of Teide, in Tenerife.
- Roque Nublo. Another ancient place worshipped by locals. It’s a great natural space to go for a walk while the sun is going down. You can spend the afternoon surrounded by incredible nature.
Sunset In Gran Canaria: Original Ideas
Would you want to watch the sunset from a different spot? If you’re planning on going out before or after the sun goes down, check out the following places.
- Maspalomas Lighthouse. Maspalomas is full of surprises! If you’ve already seen the sunset from the dunes, we recommend going to the lighthouse and walking down the beach promenade.
- Vegueta. The oldest neighborhood in Las Palmas is a great location to watch the sunset from a nice restaurant near the Cathedral.
- Gran Canaria cruises. If you are into sailing, look for a cruise that is convenient for you and enjoy the sunset view in the middle of the ocean. Opting for a sunset cruise in Gran Canaria is always a good idea.
- Your accommodation. Are you staying in a villa or apartment with a terrace? Then grab some dinner and watch the sunset while eating out there. Sunset from home: this is the most intimate and comfortable plan ever.
Plus, why don’t you turn it around and see the sunrise in Gran Canaria from your place?
When you choose your Gran Canaria property to stay, don’t forget to check the best places to see the sunset in Gran Canaria.