Are you travelling to Gran Canaria and don't want to spend a lot of money on your leisure plans? Don't worry, because the island offers an infinite number of low-cost options: beaches, hiking, walks and much more for all tastes and budgets.
Discover in this article the best free things to do in Gran Canaria - you won't get bored!
1. Strolling through the charming villages of Gran Canaria
Walking is free, and it's the best way to get to know the charming villages of Gran Canaria and discover their architecture. Besides, there are villages for all tastes:
- Fishing villages: If you like traditional fishing villages, you should explore Puerto de Mogán, in the south of Gran Canaria. It’s a tourist destination in every sense of the word, with its pretty pedestrian streets, whitewashed and decorated houses. Apart from tasting fresh fish in its restaurants, you can stroll through its streets without spending a single euro.
- Colonial neighbourhoods: To discover the colonial-era architecture, we recommend a visit to the historic centre Vegueta and Triana, in the island's capital, Las Palmas. Vegueta was founded in 1478 and has several tourist attractions such as the Cathedral, the Plaza de Santa Ana, the Casa-Museo Colón (learn about the trips of Christopher Columbus) and many more houses from the colonial period. You can take a leisurely stroll through the streets of Las Palmas and discover it all.
- Charming villages in the north of the island: Visit the charming and magical villages such as Tejeda or Artenara, the highest villages of Gran Canaria. The south has nothing to do with the wild and green north of the island, so don't miss the opportunity of a road-trip through the must-see places of the island.
2. Visit Gran Canaria's free museums
Gran Canaria has a wide range of free cultural offerings such as museums. Museums are one of the best free things to do in Gran Canaria, as you can discover Canarian art, architecture and history. You can access the following museums for free:
- Casa de Colón (free on Sundays).
- Casa-Museo Pérez Galdós (free guided tour)
- CAAM - Atlantic Centre of Modern Art
- León y Castillo House-Museum
- Ethnographic Museum Casas Cuevas of Artenara
- La Regenta Art Centre
- Tomás Morales House-Museum
- Naval Museum
- Municipal Museum of Arucas
- Agáldar Museum
- Castillo de la Luz (free on Wednesday afternoons)
However, we recommend you check the official websites of the museums or ask on site to make sure that admission is still free.
3. Visiting the most emblematic beaches of Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria stands out, among other things, for its idyllic and varied beaches. On your visit, you can't miss the island's most emblematic beaches, which are free to visit! The best beaches are the following:
- Maspalomas Beach and the Maspalomas Dunes: In addition, you’ll find the Charca de Maspalomas, a saltwater lagoon, and the Lighthouse; two essential places on your visit to Maspalomas.
- Las Canteras in the capital of the island: It’s one of the best urban beaches in Europe and ideal for sports.
- Anfi del Mar and Amadores in Puerto Rico: it’s considered the Canary Islands Caribbean. They’re white sandy beaches brought from the Caribbean, perfect for relaxing and resting.
If you prefer wilder beaches, take a look at our article on the best beaches in the North of Gran Canaria and the Secret beaches. Many include stunning natural saltwater pools that aren’t to be missed. In addition, some are connected by attractive hiking trails, such as the wild beach of Güigüi.
4. Hiking: explore the wild side of Gran Canaria
Hiking is one of the best free things to do in Gran Canaria. The island is considered a miniature continent because of its different landscapes and the great contrast between the south and the north. The hiking trails complete the perfect free plan in Gran Canaria. On the way, you can also take a trip to the most beautiful viewpoints of Gran Canaria. Some of the best hiking routes include:
- Hiking trail Inagua
- Hiking trail Barranco de los Cernícalos, where water flows all year round
- The Los Azulejos Hiking Route
And, of course, you can't miss Roque Nublo: the emblem of Gran Canaria. It’s an eighty metres high, enormous rock formation. Other natural must-sees are the Inagua Integral Reserve with its pine forests, the Tauro Mountain, watching the sunset on Pico de las Nieves, the Caldera de Bandama, the Los Tilos Nature Reserve, eating in the Caves of Guayadeque... the options are endless.
And, if you visit the island in rainy seasons such as autumn or winter, another of the attractive free things to do is to visit the most beautiful waterfalls in Gran Canaria.
5. Taste the famous Canarian rum Arehucas
The distillery of the Canarian rum Arehucas is located in the town of Arucas, in the north of Gran Canaria, on the slopes of an ancient volcano. If you’re visiting the town, apart from the Cathedral and the beautiful town itself, it’s worth a guided tour of the distillery to learn about the process of making Canarian rum – a different experience!
Where to stay in Gran Canaria
And that concludes our article on fun things to do in Gran Canaria for free. Although accommodation isn’t free, at VillaGranCanaria we have low-cost holiday rentals such as cheap villas to enjoy all the luxury and exclusivity possible such as private pool, garden, terrace, barbecue area and much more; or cheap apartments near the best beaches of Gran Canaria. If you are one of those travellers who prefer to stay in places other than the usual hotels, then you should considercountry houses. They will allow you to be in direct contact with nature and enjoy the comfort of a home.
Choose the property that most appeals to you and fully enjoy the best free things to do in Gran Canaria!